HAVE YOU GOT STYLE? Opinions on Black British Style wanted!

Anyone interested or involved in breakdancing, body popping and all dance related elements drop your thoughts in here...

As a British male aged between 16&25, how important to you is your clothing style?

Extremely
No votes
Very
No votes
Maybe subconciously
100%
A bit
No votes
Not at all
No votes

Total votes : 1

Postby profoundsince85 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:23 am

8)
okay so as lovers of hip hop, tell me do you consider yourself to dress in a hip hop style?
What influences you? hip hop music artists or designers?
To what extent do you believe black people have contributed to British fashion of today?
Do you believe the market for urban style is increasing? and why?
C'mon tell me your opinions....
Last edited by profoundsince85 on Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
profoundsince85

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby admin » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:21 pm

Hi, I appreciate your post, but I'm interested in why you want this information, sounds like it is for a school essay or something. Can't say I'm particularly up on fashion.

I don't think I dress overtly Hip Hop, I like plain stuff and so just wear jeans and t-shirt etc.

It is difficult to say what influences me really as I don't think that too much influences me directly, unless it is subconsciously. I try to take information from everywhere, but try to examine the information and then form my own views.

Black people have probably contributed a great deal, but really in the UK we are more assimilated and it is likely that any collaborations would include people of many races. Who are the designers you are thinking of? I have heard of Oswald Boateng, but I don't think you mean that kind of designer!

Again, what is urban style? I need it defining for me

Good luck with your thing.
admin
Site Admin

Postby profoundsince85 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:46 pm

Hi there,
Many thanks for the reply! Yep thats right, its for my dissertation, I am a final year student in Manchester. I just thought I'd stick a couple of questions up and see if anyone is interested enough to respond, it would be good to get a discussion going with various people!
First of all let me define 'urban style'....urban being 'from the street' so this style is the outcome of all that street culture encompasses, it is one aesthetic of 'urban'. A subculture within the urban culture is Hip Hop; a particularly progressive youth subculture.
I am investigating the impact of multiculturalism on British fashion of today focusing on Black British Style. I am evaluating the opinions of those whom immerse themselves within the Hip Hop scene and am attempting to define contemporary black british style. I am not saying that every black british person adopts the Hip Hop fashion, it's just that I need to look at one element in detail so I chose Hip Hop. I am also of course aware that Hip Hop appeals to every ethnicity and I am interested in hearing from everybody and anybody!
Again, thanks for your post and please let me know asap if you would be willing to participate in my primary research. It seems you don't classify yourself as dressing in hip hop clothing, but the fact that you're a member of britishhiphop surely you like the music??
Don't worry if you are not up on fashion, thats my role.
Cheers
profoundsince85

Return to B-Boys & B-Girls